Around Europe in 31 Days!

This is the true story of three friends, finished with their dietetic internship, and traveling Europe for one last adventure before entering the real world. We don't speak anything other than English, and we've been to Europe for a total of a combined 6 days before. This should be entertaining...

Thursday, June 22, 2006

My great-great-grandfather lived in Germany

I forgot to mention last night that the escalators in Prague move at warp speed. All of the escalators to get into and out of the Metro moved at a speed so rapid that I was a little scared for my life, especially this morning wearing my backpack and day pack and souvenior bag, because I tend to be slightly unbalanced with all of those weights on. But don't worry, we all survived. If you're ever looking to place an escalator in a building you're building (since I know you're allllll building buildings these days), check out the motors Prague uses. They're not messing around.

Today we're in Munich. Munchen, actually as it's called here, but that makes me think of munchkins, so it's really better if I just stick with Munich. ANyway, we got here just before 5:00, so all we've done so far is eat dinner at a beer garden. It was like the Kirchenfest in Highland, except real and waaaaaaay cooler. I had some sort of Bavarian Pizza, but it was really potatoes, eggs, bacon, and some sort of gravy/sauce covering the whole thing. In all reality, it was just a big delicious casserole. Topped off with the "best" German beer. We couldn't really read the menu, so I just told our waitress to bring us 3 of the best beers. It was pretty delicious, so she did a great job.

The World Cup is still pretty much the center of attention throughout Europe, and every city seems to have a square where they are showing the games live. There are no games in Munich again until Saturday evening, and we leave here on Saturday morning, so we'll miss the chaos of actually having a game in town, but with with all of the games going on, the city is still full of jerseys from all over and chants of all sorts. I love it!

Anyway, we're off to find this Olympic Park and find out what the World Cup fever is like here in Germany. Auf Weidersehn!

PS: We keep commenting, to ourselves only, that we obviously fit in here so well since we're clearly German. I hope the natives don't overhear us. But seriously, Munich has a very American feel to it, but all the perks of the church and town picnics of southern Illinois. I wonder if there's a big Bavarian Skillet around here like at the Kirchenfest...

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy R said...

If you see a Boom-Kessel Band, get pictures.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home